Q: With a property owner account can I invest as well? With an investor account can I list equity in my property for sale?
If you already signed up as a property owner you can also buy equity as an investor. Currently, however, all investors need to be accredited according to the Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC) criteria. If you signed up as an investor you can begin listing equity in your property for sale. In order to begin this process, create a listing from the main dashboard or from the listings section. You will then be prompted to upload a document such as a utility bill that will be used to validate ownership. From that point, it is a simple step-by-step guided process to complete the listing.
Q: Do I qualify as an accredited Investor?
The SEC defines an accredited investor as a person who meets the following financial OR professional criteria:
- Net worth over $1 million, excluding primary residence (individually or with spouse or partner)
- Income over $200,000 (individually) or $300,000 (with spouse or partner) in each of the prior two years, and reasonably expects the same for the current year
- Investment professionals in good standing holding the general securities representative license (Series 7), the investment adviser representative license (Series 65), or the private securities offerings representative license (Series 82)
- Directors, executive officers, or general partners (GP) of the company selling the securities (or of a GP of that company)
- Any "family client" of a "family office" that qualifies as an accredited investor
- For investments in a private fund, "knowledgeable employees" of the fund
Q: Why do i need to be accredited?
Only investors based in the United States need to be accredited to buy securities through the Vesta Property Marketplace. Digital securities on Vesta Property Marketplace are issued via Regulation D as outlined by the SEC. Regulation D requires that US investors be accredited. Vesta Equity has plans to issue digital securities via Regulation A in 2023 which will allow US based non-accredited investors to buy securities through the Vesta Property Marketplace.